Chettinad Chicken Curry made with Coconut milk goes well with Rice, Indian Bread and Ghee Rice. Keep all the ingredients ready before your start.
- 1 kg chicken, cut into medium sized pieces
- 1 cup small onions, shallots (sambar onions preferred)
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 1 cup thick coconut milk (Approx 400ml)
- fresh coriander leaves for garnish
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 green chillis
- 8 -10 garlic flakes
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 tsp poppy seeds (soaked in warm water for 10 minutes)
- 1/2 tsp pepper corns
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 3/4 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 1/2 tbsps coriander seeds
- 6-8 dry red chillies
- 2 cardamoms
- 1″ cinnamon
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp oil
- Heat 1/2 tsp oil in a pan and dry roast the ingredients listed for powder and keep aside.
- Grind all the ingredients listed for paste and keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker add 2 tbl spoon oil and add Curry leaves and Onions, once it turns translucent add the ground paste and fry so that the raw smell goes away now add Chicken to it and fry for 4 to 5 min.
- Add Tomatoes, Turmeric, Salt and fry for 4 to 5 min. (Do not close the lid.)
- Add Coconut milk and close the lid to pressure cook for 3 to 4 min / 1 whistle.
- Once the pressure comes down add the ground powder and cook for 2 to 3 min.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Also Known as : Coco Milk Chicken Masala
Variations : You can add potatoes along with chicken. (I normally add potatoes to this dish)