I could get the same taste as my mom makes this and one of my favorite. Horse gram is a very healthy bean, sprouting or soaking it increases the protein in it. I took this recipe from my mom as I did not want to mess up but wanted the best. It came out very well... This is also called as Kollu Kozhambu in Tamil.
- Horse gram : 50gms (Soaked overnight or Sprouted)
- Chilli powder :1 tbl spn
- Tamarind pulp : 3/4 tea spn
- Brinjal : 3 small or half aubergine
- Tomato : 1 No.
- Onion : 1 No.
- Turmeric : half tea spn
- For Grinding : Grated coconut : 5 tbl spns + Coriander powder : 2 tbl spns
- For seasoning : Oil + (Mustard seeds, Hing, Urad Dhal, Curry Leaves) or Vadagham
|Pic : Ulavalu / Horesegram / Kollu|
Method of preparation :
- Pressure cook the Soaked Horse gram with 2 cups of water till its 3/4th cooked. In the mean time, grind coconut and coriander powder coarsely.
- Once the pressure is released, add turmeric, salt, chilli powder, chopped onion, chopped tomato, cubed brinjal, ground mixture and cook till the brinjal is done.
- Add the tamarind extract. Do not add all at a time, check the taste and add more.Get it to boil and remove from flame.
- Seasoning: Heat a table spoon of oil in a skillet add the ingredients of seasoning and mix this with the sambar. Alternatively Vadagam seasoning would give a great taste and aroma as always. Serve with Rice.