On one of my recent visits to my native, I randomly ordered a dish which was delightful and we enjoyed it. We asked the server what it contained and he told the recipe.
Half Kg Chicken cut into Small Pieces
Coconut half cup - cut into thin slices
Dry Red chillies - 8 - 10 (this is the key ingredient)
Ginger garlic paste - 1 table spoon
Onion - One big
Turmeric - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1.5 tbsp
Oil - 3 tbsp
Cummin - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 string
Coriander Leaves for Garnishing
Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan and add Cumin seeds
- Add Red chillies and curry leaves
- Now add onion and fry till its translucent.
- Now add Coconut slices and stir for a few seconds
- Add chicken, turmeric powder, Coriander power, Salt and fry for a min
- Now close the lid and let it cook till the chicken is tender
- Add half cup of water and close it. Depending on how much gravy you need differ the water quantity.
- Check taste, Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
Note : Do not add pepper or chilli powder - it changes the colour and taste.
- Coconut and Red Chillies are the Key ingredients.
Variations : If you do not add water, this dish can be a starter / dry.