- 1.5 kgs ripe tomatoes (you could use tinned tomatoes)
- 2 tbl spoon chili powder
- 4 small sized garlic bulbs
- 1 tea spn tamarind extract
- 1 tea spn mustard seeds
- 1 tea spn sesame seeds
- 1/2 tea spn fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 tea spn turmeric powder
- 1/2 tea spn asafoetida powder
- 3 tbl spoon oil
- salt to taste
- Heat 1 tbl spoon oil and fry mustard, sesame and fenugreek seeds and see that it doesn’t burn.
- Get this to room temperature now add chili powder, turmeric, asafoetida and grind it to fine powder.
- Cut garlic into two slices each, now heat 1 tbl spoon oil and add garlic, fry for 3 4 min.
- In a big thick bottomed vessel / non sick vessel add 1 tbl spoon oil, chopped tomatoes / tinned tomatoes and salt.
- Cook this on high heat till all the tomatoes look mashed stirring it once in 10 min.
- Add tamarind extract, cook it for 10 min now add the base powder and fried garlic, cook for 10 more min.
- The tomatoes tend to splash up while boiling so keep away from the vessel while mixing. The mixture would be light maroon in color.
- Cool this to room temperature and store it in air tight container. Keep it refrigerated and would be good to use for 2-3 months. I put it into many small bottels and put them in fridge.
|Bottled Tomato Pickle|
Garlic is optional - Garlic actually tastes great with the pickle