On this special occasion I have a sweet post.
Jalebis are my big time favorite sweet. During my childhood I used to get confused between Jalebi and Jangir. When in India anytime we feel like eating these sweets, we could go to the shop and grab. Being in Deutschland that is just impossible. I got to cook if I have to eat even the basic Indian food. I tried Jalebi and it came out well.
- Maida / All purpose flour : 1 cup (250gms)
- Rice flour : 1 tea spn
- Yeast : half tea spn
- Sugar : 1 tea spn
- Oil : 1 tbl spn
- Warm water
- Take a tbl spn of warm water and mix the yeast once it dissolves add rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Make it into a semi thick batter. Leave this to ferment for about an hour in a warm place.
Frying the Jalebi :
- Make a small hole in the bottom middle of the ziplock cover using a heated nail. Pour the batter into it and tie a rubberband. OR use sauce bottle to squeez. (I used a cone instead)
- Heat oil in a wide pan and squeeze the batter in circular motion on the oil. Make as many as you can at a time.
- Once they turn golden brown put them on tissue paper.
- Then put them into the hot sugar syrup(procedure given below), soak for 2-3 min and remove it and serve.
Do not make too big hole in the cover.
Ingredients for sugar syrup :
- 1 cup sugar, qtr tea spn cardamom powder, saffron and water.
- Add water and sugar into a vessel and keep stirring. To check if its done take a drop of syrup between ur thumb and forefinger, if it comes like a thread then its done. Else let it boil for some more time till you get the thread like consistency.
- Allas add saffron and cardamom powder stir and remove from flame.
I love this commercial that used to be featured in the television years ago
Today is the grand finale of the recipe marathon and we all decided to make sweets :
Recipe Marathon # 2 - check out my co-marathon runners who have made for the finale.
DK, Valli, Ranji, PJ, Curry Leaf, Medha, Priya, Bhawna, Raaji, Ruchii, Anu, Kamala, Roopa, Divya Kudua, Rekha, Divya, Lakshmi, Raaga, Lakshmi Venkatesh, Sripriya, Karuna, Siri,Kamalika, Pavani, Viji