|Vanchina Charu / Bassaru|
- Spinach Leaves : 2 Bunches
- Toor Dhal : 1 cup
- Garlic : 5 pods
- Onion : 1 No. small
- Mustard Seeds : 1/2 tsp
- Pepper : 1 tbsp
- Asafotida : 3 pinches
- Cumin Seeds : 1/2 tsp
- Tamarind : 1 small round
- Curry Leaves : 2 strands
- Tomato : 1 No.
- Salt to taste
- Oil : 2 tbsp
- Chilli powder : 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Turmeric : 1/2 tsp
- In a big vessel take Toor Dhal + Water and cook, when the dhal is half cooked add cut spinach and salt, cook till the spinach is cooked. Make sure not to over cook both of these. Dhal should be a little hard but cooked.
- Strain the water and keep the Spinach + Dhal aside.
- In a pan heat oil and following ingredients - Cumin Seeds, Pepper, little Curry Leaves, Garlic, Onions, Tomato, Tamarind and fry for 2 min and grind it to a fine paste. Add water if required and pour the paste it into the spinach dhal strained water.
- Now in the same pan heat oil and add Mustard seeds, Asafotida, Turmeric and Curry Leaves.
- Add the strained water with ground paste and Chilli powder.
- Check taste and add tamarind / salt if required (a little salt is already added while cooking spinach).
- Once you see the froth, immediately remove from flame, dont boil it more.
- Add coriander leaves and Charu is ready.
|Palya | Vanchina Saru|
Also Known as : Bassaru, Basaru, Kura Rasam, Kooraku Rasam, Kerai Rasam, Thili Saru, Spinach Rasam, Palak rasam, Pala Kura Rasam, Indian Spinach Soup, Vanchina Chaaru
Variations : Can be made with any green leaves / vegetables / pulses like horse gram / Black eyed peas.